Hi folks IX here. One of the Senior Application Specialist here at Ideate, Inc.
Have you ever been in an elevation view and thought WHY CAN’T I SEE THROUGH THE WINDOW! I CAN IN A 3D VIEW!!!! Well okay maybe you’re not yelling it… :)
Well you’re in luck you can! Nope I’m not joking, teasing you or pulling your leg. You really can… Again… Come on you should know me by now.
The reason why you’re unable to see through a window in an elevation view has nothing to do with the material assigned to the glass. You can change the glass material to different levels of transparency and you’re still not going to see through the window glazing in an elevation view.
What’s happening is the window family “Opening cut” option for “Transparency” is not checked on for “Elevation” views. Yep that’s it…
Here’s the step to get windows in Elevation to be transparent:
1. From your Revit Project file, select the windows family that is not appearing transparent in an elevation view and select the “Edit Family” button on the Ribbon
2. In the Family Editor in a 3D view “cross a window” over the family model elements
3. Select the “Filter” button from the Ribbon >> Selection panel
4. Uncheck all Categories expect the “Opening cut” category, then the OK button
5. On the Options Bar place a check in the “Elevation” options
6. Save your Window family
7. From the Ribbon select the “Load into Project” button OR new to Revit 2015r2 “Load into Project and Close” button
Your Window Family will now be transparent… But… it’ll be 100% transparent but now you can see through your window.
Check out this short video on the above steps
Enjoy workflow tips and tricks.
For more information on training and consulting for the various products Ideate services, visit our website at www.ideateinc.com
AEC Senior Application Specialist
Eugene A. O’Day, IX, with more than 25 years of architectural and mechanical experience, offers a trained focus on all things Revit and BIM. Teaching is a passion of his. Eugene has been an instructor in undergraduate degree programs, has traveled worldwide teaching Autodesk solutions to major corporations, has taught at accredited ATCs throughout the Northwestern region, and is a frequent and popular instructor, speaker, and presenter for AUGI® CAD Camps, Revit – and related product user groups. He has also been a trusted public school district advisor on new drafting instructor hires. At Ideate, Eugene provides training and support for Revit Architecture, Revit Structure and AutoCAD. Eugene is also a Revit Architecture Autodesk Certified Professional.