Now that AutoCAD Civil 3D 2016 is a few months into its release, more and more customers are evaluating the benefits of upgrading. As an Autodesk Platinum Reseller, Ideate is always looking for information that can help our customers make the right decisions for their business.
One of the first places that I look for information on a new release is a Feature Comparison Matrix. With each new release, Autodesk generally provides a link to a PDF or online document that lists a comparison of features from version to version. Recently, one of our customers asked for a link to this for Civil 3D, and to my surprise, it was much harder to find than expected. AutoCAD, Revit, and Design Suite links were easy to find, but Civil 3D did not show up in my initial search.
After some digging, I was able to find a Civil 3D specific feature comparison document available through a partner resource link from Autodesk. Now that we have it, we’re posting it here to share with everyone else.
As a quick reference, here’s a list of new features and enhancements from the 2015 to 2016 versions of Civil 3D:
• Manage Data Shortcuts to repair broken shortcuts and replace DWG objects
• Display vault project objects that exist in subfolders within object type
• Create data references to objects that exist in different vault projects
Collaboration and Data Exchange:
• Import and Export IFC (Industry Foundation Class) Files
• Select alignments by layer to be used as width and targets
Sections & Section Views:
• Control the direction of sections in section views
• Loop geometry support
• Create exclusionary catchments
• Crossing pipe and pressure pipe profile view labels
• Pressure pipe labels in section views
For more information on training and consulting for the various products Ideate services, visit our website at www.ideateinc.com
Ideate ENI Application Specialist
Daniel is an Application Specialist for Infrastructure Solutions at the Ideate Sacramento office. He is a California licensed Civil Engineer and LSIT with over 9 years land development design experience and 6 years Civil–GIS software consulting. Additionally, he provided 6 years of engineering support at a municipal public works department. At Ideate, Daniel assists Civil Engineering and Surveying firms in maximizing their utilization of AutoCAD Civil 3D through consulting, training, mentoring, and technical support. He conducts standard classroom and custom training on AutoCAD, Map 3D, and Civil 3D.
Get it. Know it. Use it.